Thursday, 27 May 2010

Hello World!

Here I am, kicking and screaming.... well actually I'm eating a pork pie and drinking a pint of cider but hey ho!

If you want to know about me check the page 'Hearing Background' somewhere else on this blog and sit down with a cup of coffee and some chocolate hobnobs, or in Lesley's case a wine spritzer and some old-skool sweeties!

OK, I'm as deaf as a plank, unless I have my cochlear implant on in which case I get all these bamboozling sounds coming at me. You know, even after having it fitted in '04 I am still learning how to use it, doubt I will ever stop learning how to use it, it's a fabulous piece of modern engineering and I feel very lucky to have it.

I mean I still get times where I think "Whooow, holy shit, I can hear!" after so many years confined to silence, it still takes me aback and makes me appreciate it even more. Alas I cannot hear like an able-hearing person can, and probably never will be able to until the technology we have takes another leap forwards. But I'm certainly not complaining!

So, what's what.... I lurrrrrvvvvveeeee music, it's a HUGE part of my life and was part of the reason why I moved to London, to get into the TV music industry and to assist with increasing access to it for the deaf and hard of hearing. I've had meetings with the BBC, MTV and most recently Channel 4. Sadly not successful but hey, actually getting to have meetings and interviews with these people is an achievement in itself. (Just wished I landed the job at Channel 4, it was my ideal role and I blew it, bummer!). I love going to gigs and concerts, we're off to see Lady Gaga at the O2 Arena this weekend, saw her earlier-in-the-year show there and are going back for second helpings!

Been to quite a few concerts, some are here in no particular order: Skunk Anansie (one my all-time favourite bands), Madonna, Pet Shop Boys, Babes in Toyland (many thousands of years ago), Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, Scissor Sisters, Bad Robots, The Ting Tings (they rocked and I had Katie's boobs right in my face at one point, scary!), Lady Gaga...and others I can't recall whilst speed typing! Had a blast with one of Skunk Anansie's 'preview' shows at the Electric Ballroom in Camden, was stood right at the front with Skin (their lead singer) stood right atop of my shoulders singing their hit 'Weak' to the rest of the audience behind. It was a mixture of emotions, the first being "OH MY GOD, I HAVE SKIN STOOD ON MY SHOULDERS!!!!", the second being "Oh god, don't fall off!" and third being "Yep, she's getting heavier...!". Bloody awesome show and you can see it all on YouTube, just type in 'Skunk Anansie Weak Electric Ballroom' in the search and et voila :)

Moving swiftly on, I'm now a noveau-Theatre-Luvvie, courtesy of the other 'alf! StageText are the peeps doing the captioning, what they do is amazing and I hold them in high regard as the access they give is absolutely bloody brilliant. So, on top of the gigs you can add the theatre shows (again in no specific order) : Jersey Boys, Phantom of the Opera, Rope, Priscilla (several times), Hairspray (Several times), Evita, His Dark Materials, The Mousetrap, West Side Story, The Lion King, Legally Blonde, Wicked (Several time, I absolutely LOVE Wicked!), WarHorse, Matthew Bourne's Edward Scissorhands, Damon Albarn's Monkey, Avenue Q (hilarious!), Sister Act, Billy Elliott...there's more, but I can't think. Oh yes, several of the Cirque du Soleil shows as well, they are all superb. Oh my god, and how can I forget the absolutely ultimate in visual (and the sing along, and dance along, and confetti, and the rice, the torches, water pistols, oh you get the drift...) feasts.... The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

What else? I'm very much into the art and fashion world, especially photography, something I wish to get into again after many years absence, often visiting many of London's galleries. London is such an amazing cultural centre, it's a pure melting pot of talents, just an amazing place to live and learn.

Outside of all that I manage a downhill mountain bike racing team in my own time away from the day job, have been at the helm of that since the mid-90's and it has gone from strength to strength, there is a link to the team's blog elsewhere on here so go and have a look.

I will keep this relatively short to mark my first post and I hope you all enjoy reading the further exploits that are sure to be coming.

Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment